Autonomous databases are the new trend for most modern businesses today. They carry a host of advantages, and they save invaluable time for database administrators. Most skilled DBA professionals are overburdened with the manual tasks of maintaining and managing database systems. Their present workloads are very demanding, and this regularly results in database management administration errors that have a severe impact on the system’s security, uptime, and performance.
For instance, you can take the failure to apply a security patch or an update that results in vulnerabilities. When you fail to apply this patch properly, this eliminates and weakens the database security protection as a whole. In case the system is not protected, the business enterprise is placed at data breach risks that have serious financial repercussions and can negatively impact the business.
Mitigate employee and customer frustration
Business apps also add fresh records to new databases, or they can use the information in the database to analyze trends, make reports or search for anomalies. This results in the database expanding into several terabytes when it comes to complexity and size. This makes the database quite challenging for professionals to secure, manage and tune for optimal performance. Databases that become slow or become inaccessible negatively impact the performance of employees and frustrate your customer.
Both the velocity and the volume of data available to companies today are increasing at a great speed. This amplified the requirement for secure and efficient database management to enhance data security, reduce downtime, and boost performance. The goal here is not to make the system vulnerable to human mistakes. With the help of an autonomous database, businesses can achieve these goals.
What are the key components of an autonomous database?
There are two key elements of an autonomous database to deal with the workloads of a business. They are –
1. Data warehouse – It performs multiple functions related to business intelligence tasks and deploys data that has been prepared well in advance for analysis. The data warehouse manages the database lifecycle operations. It can effectively perform data scans on multiple rows, is scalable to the business’s needs, and can be successfully deployed in just a few seconds.
2. Transaction processing – This enables transactional processes based on time like live analytics, fraud detection, and analytics. Transaction processing involves a small volume of records based on operations predefined and permits simple deployment and application development. To know more about the above technicalities, please visit Remote.DBA.com.
How does the autonomous database function?
The autonomous database deploys the power of machine learning and artificial intelligence to offer complete end-to-end automation for security, provisioning, availability, change management, availability, and the prevention of errors. In the above context, the autonomous database has the following traits-
1. It is a self-driving database – All the processes that relate to the management of infrastructure are monitoring, and performance tuning is automated. This offers more time and room for skilled DBAs to focus on the core tasks of the business. They can pay better attention to processing, data aggregation, strategies for governance, and data modeling. They can help developers use the database’s in-built features with its functions making the lease change to applicable codes.
2. The database is self-securing – The database’s pre-built capabilities protect it from both external threats and malicious users in the business. It assists in eliminating concerns about frequent cybercrimes on databases that are unpatched or unencrypted.
3. The database can repair itself – This database is effective in mitigating downtime, with the inclusion of unplanned maintenance. The autonomous database acquires less than 2.5 minutes of downtime on an average every month, including patching.
What are the advantages of the autonomous database for your business?
There are multiple benefits of the autonomous database for a business. Take a look at them below-
- It gives your optimal business uptime, security, and performance. This includes fixes and automatic patches
- It mitigates manual and error-prone activities associated with management via automation.
- It reduces costs and offers you enhanced productivity with the automation of daily and routine tasks.
The autonomous database permits the organization to concentrate better on the database management team for creating a greater quality of work that results in enhanced business value like data modeling, helping programmers with the data architecture, and making plans for its capacity in the future. There are some cases where the autonomous database assists a business to save money by decreasing the number of database administrators required for database management or by reinvesting them into more important strategic tasks of the business.
Besides the above, some autonomous databases have unique capabilities. They can –
1. Enjoy simple scalability – The memory resources of cloud database servers can be expanded or reduced instantly for their computing needs. For instance, the organization can scale from 8 million of database computing to 16 million for processing at the end of the quarter of the financial year or go down to 8 million again in the later phases. Businesses have the option to shut their computing resources during the weekends to cut costs, and the computing can be resumed again on Monday mornings.
2. The database patching is seamless – Several data breaches are enabled by vulnerabilities in the system for which there is a patch already available. However, it is not applied. The autonomous database curbs this problem by automatically rolling out patches against cloud servers in a unique sequence to mitigate downtime.
3. Integrated intelligence – The autonomous database can integrate management, monitoring, and analytic abilities for leveraging AI and ML techniques. The objective here is to automate performance tuning of the database to curb outages of the application for reinforcing the security via the whole database application successfully.
For assistance on autonomous databases and how they can benefit your business, you should contact qualified and skilled database management consultants to help you. In this way, you can find custom solutions that work positively for your business and help you gain a competitive edge in the market with success!